NC - PreK
NC Pre-Kindergarten Application
Now accepting NC Pre-Kindergarten applications for the 2019-2020 school year.
The 2019-2020 school year marks the seventeenth year of the NC PreK pre-kindergarten program in Alexander County. The NC Pre-Kindergarten Program is a high-quality pre-K program that serves children who are at risk and prepares them for success in school. Pre-kindergarten is a research-proven strategy for school readiness.
Parents can have the greatest impact on a child’s school readiness as the first and most consistent teacher in a child’s life. Children will make the most progress when parents are involved. Even if your child does not attend a pre-kindergarten or childcare program, there are still things that you can do to help them be ready for school when it is their turn to enter kindergarten. Here is a brief checklist of things to do with your child to ensure that he is ready to enter kindergarten.
- Listen to stories without interrupting
- Recognize rhyming sounds
- Pay attention for short periods of time to adult-directed tasks
- Show understanding of general times of day
- Cut with scissors
- Trace basic shapes
- Share with others
- Start to follow rules
- Manage bathroom needs
- Button shirts, pants, coats, and zip-up zippers
- Tying shoes
- Separate from parents without being upset
- Speak understandably
- Talk in complete sentences of five to six words
- Look at pictures and then tell stories
- Identify rhyming words
- Identify the beginning sound of some words
- Identify some alphabet letters
- Sort similar objects by color, size, and shape
- Recognize groups of one, two, three, four, and five objects
- Count to ten
- Bounce a ball
- Recite alphabet
Always remember that children develop at different rates and should not be compared to other children, especially in the early years. The most important thing is that your child arrives at his or her first day of school healthy, mature, capable, and eager to learn.
If you have additional questions about school readiness, childcare, and/or preschool options for your child, please contact the Alexander County Partnership for Children at 828-632-3799.